UNOCHA is the part of the United Nations Secretariat responsible for bringing together humanitarian actors to ensure a coherent response to emergencies. OCHA also ensures there is a framework within which each actor can contribute to the overall response effort.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Executive Associate
Job ID: 12056
Vacancy Type: Service Contract (SC)
Contract Duration: Initial duration of one year
- Under the guidance and supervision of the Head of Office the Executive Associate is responsible for ensuring the effective delivery of secretary duties by performing, under minimal supervision, the full range of office management and administrative support functions; typically provides direct assistance to senior officers or managers such as a Head of Office consistent with UN rules and regulations
- The Executive Associate leads and provides guidance to OCHA’s Head of Office, fostering effective collaboration within the teams, with relevant OCHA and UNDP counterparts at Headquarters and in the field, and with other UN agencies, promoting a client-oriented approach and ensuring optimal performance and efficient delivery of services
Duties and Responsibilities
Ensures effective and efficient functioning of the HoO’s office focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Maintenance of the HoO’s calendar, contacts with high-ranking visitors, arrangement of appointments and meetings, acting as an interpreter when required and/or taking minutes.
- Maintenance of protocol procedures.
- Management of HoO’s missions and representation schedule.
- Maintenance of rosters of high-level partners, telephone lists.
- Preparation of correspondence, directives, comments on behalf of the HoO for his/her signature and making follow-up when required.
- Preparation of high quality briefing materials for HoO’s appointments, meetings, missions.
- Preparation of informal translations.
- Use of automated office management systems for effective functioning of the HoO’s office.
Ensures provision of effective communications support to the office focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Maintenance of the filing system ensuring safekeeping of confidential materials. Use of automated filing system.
- Follow up on deadlines, commitments made, actions taken and coordination of collection and submission of the reports to Head of Office.
- Screening of all incoming calls and correspondence.
- Coordination of the information flow in the office, follow up on circulation files.
- Facilitation of information sharing between UNCT and the UN Coordination Unit.
- Presentation of proposals to eliminate communication bottlenecks in the office and streamline office procedures between the supervisor’s office and subordinate division.
Ensures facilitation of knowledge building and management focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Sound contributions to knowledge networks and communities of practice.
- Organization of specialized trainings for secretaries.
- Organization of trainings to UN staff on coordination, administration and protocol issues.
Impact of Results
- The key results have an impact on the efficiency of the HoO’s office. Accurate analysis and presentation of information strengthens the capacity of the HoO’s office and promotes the image of UN/UNDP as an effective contributor to the development of the country. Incumbent’s own initiative is decisive in results of work and timely finalization.
- Building Strategic Partnerships
- Maintaining information and databases
- Analyzes general information and selects materials in support of partnership building initiatives
Promoting Organizational Learning and Knowledge Sharing:
- Basic research and analysis
- Researches best practices and poses new, more effective ways of doing things
- Documents innovative strategies and new approaches
Job Knowledge/Technical Expertise:
- Fundamental knowledge of processes, methods and procedures
- Understands the main processes and methods of work regarding to the position
- Possesses basic knowledge of organizational policies and procedures relating to the position and applies them consistently in work tasks
- Strives to keep job knowledge up-to-date through self-directed study and other means of learning
- Demonstrates good knowledge of information technology and applies it in work assignments
Promoting Organizational Change and Development:
- Presentation of information on best practices in organizational change
- Documents ‘best practices’ in organizational change and development within and outside the UN system
- Demonstrates ability to identify problems and proposes solutions
Design and Implementation of Management Systems:
- Data gathering and implementation of management systems
- Uses information/databases/other management systems
- Provides inputs to the development of simple system components
- Maintains effective client relationships
- Organizes and prioritizes work schedule to meet client needs and deadlines
- Establishes, builds and sustains effective relationships within the work unit and with internal and external clients
- Reports to internal and external clients in a timely and appropriate fashion
- Responds to client needs promptly
Promoting Accountability and Results-Based Management:
- Gathering and disseminating information
- Gathers and disseminates information on best practice in accountability and results-based management systems
- Prepares timely inputs to reports
- Maintains databases
- Demonstrating/safeguarding ethics and integrity
- Demonstrate corporate knowledge and sound judgment
- Facilitating and encouraging open communication in the team, communicating effectively
- Creating synergies through self-control
- Managing conflict
- Learning and sharing knowledge and encourage the learning of others. Promoting learning and knowledge management/sharing is the responsibility of each staff member.
- Self-development, initiative-taking
- Acting as a team player and facilitating team work
- Informed and transparent decision making
Required Skills and Experience
- Secondary Education with specialized secretarial training.
- University Degree or equivalent would be desirable, but it is not a requirement.
- 6 years of progressively responsible secretarial, administrative, programme experience is required at the national or international level.
- Experience in the usage of computers and office software packages (MS Word, Excel, etc), experience in handling of web based management systems.
- Fluency in the UN and national language of the duty station.
How to apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply
Application Deadline: 27th September, 2017.